March 1, 2010

The International Aid Example

In the Old Testament, God took no pleasure with the Israelites for offering blemished lambs as their offerings and today we offer the leftover items in our house when the opportunity presents itself to give. I recently visited Global Aid Network, a ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ, and while being pleased with their operation, was also surprised by what I saw there. In the very front of the warehouse are bins for clothes and shoes individuals gave to be sent to people who are in need worldwide. I looked in the bin and saw shoes that were worn through the sole and into the thin lining inside the shoe. I looked into another bin and saw a shirt that had multiple grease marks and a tear around the armpit. Originally I was shocked that GAIN would deliver these clothes and before I could even bring up the question the guide told me that over half of what is donated has to be thrown out because it is not worthy to send.
Why would we give these things? When I began to pull the string I became even more upset. We buy nice things for ourselves and give what we have worn out. Imagine meeting the person who received your old shoes. Could you look confidently and feel proud of yourself when they try to put on your leftovers? Now turn the table and you will see why it means so much that God gave us His precious son and maybe more so why he would get so upset when the sacrifices the Israelites performed that were a foreshadowing of The Sacrifice to come were of their second best.

No comments:

Post a Comment